Programming of Gianfranco Rosi’s film “FUOCAMMARE” (2016) at the LUSAKA INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL:
Thursday, 28/9 h. 18:30 – Venue: Fresh View Cinemas (Levy Junction) “Premiere” by invitation of the Festival Organizers, the Zambian Italian Cultural Center Trust and the Embassy of Italy in Zambia.
Friday, 29/9 h. 19:00 – Venue: Alliance Française (with subtitles in English) tickets for sale at Alliance Française
Title: “Fuocammare (Fire at Sea)” – 2016
Review: Gianfranco Rosi went to Lampedusa, in the epicenter of the media clamor, to look, where it would seem to be no longer, the invisible and his stories. Following his full immersion method, Rosi has moved for more than a year to the island, experiencing what it means to live on the most symbolic border of Europe, telling the different destinies of those who have always lived on the island, the Lampedusiani , and of those who get there to proceed elsewhere, the migrants. From this dive was born the documentary that tells the story of Samuel who is 12 years old, goes to school, loves to pull with the sling and go hunting. He likes land games, although all around him speaks of the sea and of men, women and children trying to cross it to reach his island. But it is not an island like the others, it’s Lampedusa, landing in the last 20 years of thousands of migrants looking for freedom. Samuel and the Lampedusiani are sometimes unknowable witnesses, sometimes mute, sometimes involved, of one of the greatest human tragedies of our time.
Directed by: Gianfranco Rosi
Actors: Samuele Pucillo – Himself, Mattias Cucina – Himself, Samuele Caruana – Himself, Pietro Bartolo – Himself, Giuseppe Fragapane – Himself, Maria Signorello – Herself, Francesco Paterna – Himself, Francesco Mannino – Himself, Maria Costa – Herself
Subject: Carla Cattani – (idea), Gianfranco Rosi
Photography: Gianfranco Rosi, Aldo Chessari – (underwater shooting)
Editing: Jacopo Quadri, Fabrizio Federico – (collaboration)
Sound: Gianfranco Rosi
NOTES & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:
– REALIZED WITH THE CONTRIBUTION OF THE MINISTRY OF CULTURE AND TOURISM-GENERAL DIRECTION FOR CINEMA; WITH THE PATRONAGE OF THE COMUNE DI LAMPEDUSA E LINOSA.
– EXECUTIVE PRODUCTION: STEMAL ENTERTAINMENT.
– GOLD BEAR, ECUMENICAL JURY AWARD, AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL FILM PRIZE BERLINER, PRIZE OF THE JURY OF THE “MORGENPOST” READERS AT THE 66TH FESTIVAL OF BERLIN (2016).
– CANDIDATE TO DAVID OF DONATELLO 2016 FOR: BEST FILM, DIRECTION, PRODUCTION AND FILM EDITING.
– GRAND PREMIUM 2016 OF THE FOREIGN PRESS.
– CANDIDATE TO THE OSCARS 2017 AS BEST DOCUMENTARY.